And over here in Ireland, I have met people that either love Australia, or absolutely hate Australia. The 'love' Australia part, is normal, I mean I have met so many Irish people while working in the Melbourne office. But the people that absolutely hate Australia, of course you won't meet them in Australia, are absolutely hilarious. The guy that sits right in front of me, Paddy (okay, he's real name is not Paddy) is your typical Irish guy that does not like anything about Australia.
"There are only convicts in Australia, Jules"
I reply "You can criticise Australia as much as you want Paddy, I don't care because I am not Australian"
"Yes you are Jules, YOU live there, YOU are Australian"
Me "No Paddy, I am Malaysian, I live in Australia but I am Malaysian"
"No you're not, you live in Australia, YOU are Australian"
Then he goes "Streuth Jules, Streuuuuthh"
I say to him "Paddy, I have lived in Australia for 6 years now, I have never heard of the word Streuth before"
"Streuuuuuuth Jules"
A word he probably picked up from Home and Away.
"Seriously Paddy, we never use that word in Melbourne"
Paddy replies "What a shocker Jules....!!" hahaha again, a word that is very commonly used in Australia.
"Yes Streuuuuthhh Paddy, streeuuuth"
"What a shocker, Jules... You've had an absolute shocker Jules"
Oh shut up Paddy. Streuth Jules.
Everyday we have the same conversation, over and over again. All good craic. (Craic is an Irish slang, for... fun). I know my boss is sitting next to us, muttering under her breath "don't these two have any work to do?"
No comments:
Post a Comment