Tuesday, 14 June 2011

7 Day Detox

About two weeks ago, Grumpy and myself decided it was about time we completed a 7 day detox program. The detox requires us to take 5 tablets each day, at various times. I took note of all the food we ate and made sure it was meat free and dairy free. We still ate fish though. And one of my colleagues response was "Is it because you think fish don't have feelings?"

One of the hard things for me was not grabbing my customary chai latte from the cafe on my way to work. I was always very tempted! Instead I would get to the office, and make myself a cup of green tea instead. We had to stay away from sugar, caffeine, fizzy drinks and ALCOHOL (big hats off to Grumpy)! No chocolates, no chips or lollies too.

Overall, I am so proud we made it (well, nearly.. see Day Seven below). It was so hard, especially on the weekend. Many people have asked me "Do you feel any difference?" Well the answer is "Yes, I do feel better". I will be more conscious now when I go back to eating normal un-healthy food. Did we lose weight? No, not really. Probably 2 kgs. But then again, our main purpose was not to lose weight, but rather an internal cleanse after years of bad eating habits. I am quite impressed with Grumpy because he was the chef whipping up the dinners and most of them, he still cooked it so fabulously, it was delicious. We certainly did not cut down on portions. While we were required to do plenty of exercise during the program, I do not think Grumpy did much except walking to the train station. I had one session of running on the treadmill, and 2 classes of Body Balance. Yoga is highly recommended during detox.

It was also much easier that Grumpy and I worked on this program together. I call it team work. My colleague at work said "He must really love you... for doing this detox program". And then she adds "He must LOVE you even more for attending the Kylie concert with you". Haha. Well, we have agreed that we might do this either once or twice a year now.

We started on Monday, which was a public holiday. I thought it was a good idea because at least we had the day off to get used to the requirements of this program.

Here is our menu for the entire seven days.

Day One
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Celery & carrot juice
Breakfast- Sauteed Mushrooms on toast
Lunch - Tuna with avocado and alfalfa on wholemeal bread
Dinner - Chilli bean hot pot with brown rice

Day Two
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Prune juice
Breakfast - Muesli with soy milk
Lunch - Tuna with avocado and alfalfa on wholemeal bread
Dinner - Pan fried salmon in olive oil with steamed veggies

Vignette: Sm. Black,Snapbucket,Original
Day Three
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Prune juice
Breakfast - Muesli with soy milk
Lunch - Leftover chilli bean with alfalfa on wholemeal bread
Dinner - Pumpkin soup, with toasted wholemeal bread and steamed veggies
Then for dessert - Kylie Aphrodite Les Folies concert!

Day Four
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Prune juice
Breakfast - Sauteed mushrooms on toast
Lunch - Muesli with soy milk, and a bowl of rockmelon
Dinner - Steamed fish (asian style) with brown rice and stir fried green beans with garlic in olive oil & tamari sauce

Day Five
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Prune juice
Breakfast - Muesli with soy milk
Lunch - Tuna with alfalfa on wholemeal bread
Dinner - Vegetarian minestrone with 2 slices of wholemeal toast and watermelon slices

Filter: Bronze Tint,Vignette: Sm. Black,Snapbucket,Original
Day Six
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Celery and carrot juice
Breakfast - Muesli with soy milk
Lunch - Leftover vegetarian minestrone
Dinner - Vegetarian bolonaise with wholemeal spaghetti

Day Seven (Thank GOD!)
Upon rising, glass of water with a dash of lemon juice
Prune juice
Breakfast - Muesli with soy milk
Lunch - EPIC FAIL - Vietnamese chicken noodles (pho) in clear broth - we ate out at a restaurant! Felt extremely guilty after. Moment of weakness.
Dinner - Steamed fish (asian style) but with white rice (Grumpy refuses to eat another grain of brown rice) and stir fried green beans with garlic in olive oil & tamari sauce

Snacks - I made sure we ate plenty of apples each day. Oranges were not recommended. We also snacked on roasted almonds. I made some biscuits from a recipe provided in this program.

These biscuits are made of only rolled oats, mashed bananas, prunes, olive oil and pure maple syrup.

At the end of the 7 days, we were back to eating like how we usually do. Part of the program, also requires us to take 2 additional tablets each day (after the detox), which is made up of probiotics to help our system get back to eating normally again. So whats the verdict? It was good, definitely recommended to those looking for an internal cleanse.

No comments: