I must admit, I love fancy jewellery, especially expensive ones, but I don't have any (maybe one or two, plus they are not THAT expensive anyways) and I don't wear them every day because I can't be bothered taking them off, putting them back on, taking good care of it… and most importantly – losing it!
Today my outfit to work seemed boring. Maybe it was because I was assigned to a boring task and couldn't care less. So I thought I'd wear a ring which Grumpy got for me last year, just to lift the spirits a little.
This guy at work said "Ooh, nice ring, never seen you wear it before!" I do wear it.. only on the odd occasion. Do you know why?
A while back, I wore that ring nearly every day. If I washed my hands without taking the ring off, even after drying my hands, I could still feel it wasn't completely dry, due to the way the ring was designed, water gets caught in between. Annoying. Since then, each time I went to the ladies, I'd take the ring off, place it on the counter, wash my hands, dry it, and put the ring back on.
One day, one of the managers came up to me, "Jules, don't you wear a '_____'* ring?"
For some weird reason, I thought it was a trick question. I don't like to flaunt that ring, but if she's thinking I do, then its no good. I went… hmm.. yea…. Err.. why?
"One of the girls from the other department found a '_____'* ring in the toilet. They think it's real" (oh you reckon?)
I looked at my finger, it wasn't there!
She added "they tried locating the owner all day, but no one has claimed it. Then they're asking me now and when they said '_____'* ring, I said.. I know a girl who wears such a ring!"
"Omg… omg. Its mine! Omg!!! I can't believe I don't even realise its missing!"
So she brought me to the other department, and the manager from there said "finally we found the owner! Is it real?" (Why is it that I get question all the time?)
While I did reward the person who found it, I was feeling relieved. Yet I found myself overwhelmed by the fact that I was so careless and that there are still good people out there, honest people!
Then I thought to myself, if I had LOST the ring, I had 3 options:
- Pretend I never had such a ring. Grumpy would think I'm a schizo, but he probably does anyways. It would just reinstate his thoughts. Haha this is quite a bad option, but not too bad.
- Buy exactly the same ring again, with my own money though, and not tell him I lost anything. I might have to starve for a whole month, maybe two. This is also not too bad an option. However, I don't really want to use my own money.
- Tell Grumpy the truth. Worst of them all – no more expensive jewellery for me…. He will stop buying. Period.
From that experience, I have learnt to be very careful when I remove my jewellery and place it at anywhere else but my jewellery box. I thank my lucky stars that I got back my ring.
(* left blank intentionally…)
No comments:
Post a Comment